Perhaps you were lucky enough to attend ISTE or another great conference? Perhaps you were on vacation? If so, you may have missed some of the tips, resources, and tools shared on Teacher Reboot Camp.
What you might have missed…
Your favorite posts this month based on comments and overall traffic:
- Do We See the Beauty in Every Student?- I would love to believe all educators enter our field full of compassion for every student. My experience paints a dark reality. I’ve seen and heard too many educators curse at students, call them stupid or tell them they will amount to nothing. How can we prevent this and why should we?
- Favorite Cool Sites Series- In this post, you can find 35 resources and ideas for free professional development over the summer.
- Favorite What Did They Tweet Series-Nick Vujicic who has no arms and limbs inspires students in this video, see the last 18 years in rap, watch a PLN video, and listen to a song from one of our PLN members about teachers resistant to using technology.
- My Favorite Tech Tools & Resources This Month-
- Guest Posts- A heartfelt thanks to all my guest bloggers this month! Please leave them comments on their fantastic posts!
- Feedback is a Gift by Melissa Tran- Melissa was a new blogger when she completed the 30 Goals Challenge in January. She describes how supporting a new blogger inspired her as an educator.
- From Butterflies to Wings by Janet Bianchini- Janet describes how being a guest blogger (30 Goals Challenge #9) has inspired her!
- A Poem by Hamdi Erestreams- Read a poem by a teacher in Tunisia who journeys far to interact with her PLN!
- Challenging Myself in So Many Ways by Deven Black- Help Deven pick a themes song and read his reflections on completing several of the 30 Goals!
- If you would like to contribute to this blog, please e-mail me at ShellyTerrell at gmail.com. If you would like to contribute to the 30 Goals Series, please complete this Google spreadsheet.
- We Connect- Updated! This is my PLN wiki where you will find several resources, tutorials, videos and more on helping educators join a PLN. Please feel free to use the resources in your presentations on PLNs and social media.
- Technology 4 Kids- Updated with new Skype resources! Ozge Karaoglu and I developed this wiki to help educators integrate technology effectively for young learners. Read about digital storytelling tools, Glogster, Voicethread, and more!
- Children’s English classes- Updated! Search by theme for book ideas and games for children ages 4 to 10 years-old.
- In Children and Cardboard Boxes I argue how students are discouraged from using their imagination and creativity in schools. Lecturing and continuous drill work are some of the problems with the education system. Read more on the Cooperative Catalyst blog where other education reformers and I tackle difficult issues in education.
- In Undoing the Damage of High-Stakes Testing I argue how high-stakes testing is damaging our students’ learning when they are drilled in taking these tests rather than participating in opportunities to problem solve and critical think with their peers worldwide. This is on the Cooperative Catalyst blog.
- Check out these ideas on, Motivating Adult Learners: 15 Ways to Use a Wiki, that is on the OUP ELT Global blog. You will see how I get my students to reflect at the end of the year on their learning goals.
- Check out these ideas on, Digital Digits: Creative Ideas for Finger Plays, that is on the Teaching Village blog. You will see how to motivate young learners with songs and chants in the classroom and through web 2.0 tools like Blabberize.
- I write the weekly summaries for Parentella’s #PTChat, the parent and educator discussion, which occurs every Wednesday at 9pm PST.
Thank you so much for your support of my free 30 Goals Challenge E-book. Over 2500 of you have read it and I am truly grateful! Download your free copy here.
Please feel free to use any of the resources shared here or in the wikis because the ultimate goal is to get other educators involved in our PLN.
You may want to subscribe for FREE to receive regular updates!